Monday, June 23, 2008

last post for a while

Well today is the day! I have been anxious about this day for months. I will not actually ship until Tuesday, June 24, but tonight I will stay at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Dallas and begin processing at 4:30am Tuesday morning.

Here is my schedule for the next few months:

June 24th - ship to BCT (Basic Combat Training) @ Fort Jackson, South Carolina for 9 - 10 weeks.
September 5th - BCT Graduation (that is the current projected date)
September 8th - AIT (Advanced Individual Training) @ the Army School of Music, Norfolk, Virginia for 6 months.
After AIT we will go to our permanent duty station. At this time we have requested the
77th Army Band - Ft Sill - Lawton, Oklahoma.

Again this time is a little bittersweet. I am excited about the opportunity and adventure the Lord has in front of me. However, I am a little nervous. I am nervous about being separated from family and friends for so long. I am nervous about being able to handle the physical activities (I am a little older than than the average recruit). I do know that God is in control and will take care of me. A few weeks ago we were able to visit our friends in Frankston, Texas and heard a great sermon from Darin. He told us that where God calls you, He will equip you and where God leads you, He will provide. God had that sermon timed exactly where and when we needed it. So while I am a little nervous, I know that God is going to be right there with me.

I am so thankful for friends and family that have been so supportive. I am especially thankful for my wife, Misty. She had been my biggest cheerleader, coach, and mini drill sgt during the last few months. I am thankful that she is allowing me to chase my dreams of playing music for a living. I am thankful that she is willing to put her career on hold while I go through the next few months of training. Misty I love you and will miss you.

I will of course not have access to e-mail, internet, or cell phone for the next 10 - 12 weeks. I will only be able to send and receive snail mail and maybe get the occasional call. ( I think we all know who those calls are reserved for). During this time you should be able to keep up with things on Misty's Blog. I know that most of you have been praying for us, so we ask that you continue to pray for us.

Until next time - HOOAH!

No comments: